Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Jet Lag is for Real

Yesterday I barely made it to 6 pm before I passed out. I had enough time to unpack most of my things and make up my bed, but I was so exhausted that I had washed my face and put my pajamas on and climbed into bed by 3 pm. It was all I could do to keep my eyes open until a more reasonable hour. 

I woke up today after 15 hours of uninterrupted sleep. Every muscle in my body was sore, including my face, and I had a headache akin to what I imagine a hangover would create. It took my full will power to drag myself out of bed today, that and my insatiable hunger. I realized that I hadn’t eaten anything since breakfast yesterday on my KLM flight (which was at like 7 am). I had thought about getting dinner yesterday, but I was so bone tired from being up for 30 hours straight, and dragging 60 pounds of luggage up 4 flights of stairs at what my body thought was 4 am (no one told me I would have a 4th floor walk up), and of course, jet lag.

I have a lot to do today, but I had to start with breakfast. One of the curses of being self-catered is that I can’t just roll out of bed and get breakfast or a snack whenever I want to. I found the closest cafe to my dorm and decided to go there no matter what the menu was. It turned out to be a super cute little cafe called “Clock Cafe”. Everything and everyone inside was very hipster and there were of course several clocks. My favorite part of the excursion was listening to people around me talking. I like the Leeds accent, it’s gruff and gravelly—the words sound really thick in your mouth, like molasses. Don’t think BBC, but more Neville Longbottom, but even thicker. 


The food was good too! I got a “Yorkshire Breakfast” and it was truly hearty and delicious! There was some interesting sausage and the “bacon” was more like ham than any bacon I’ve had before. The bread was a strange texture, but I really enjoyed it all! There were some delicious mushrooms and baked beans and hash browns! My first breakfast in Europe did not disappoint (and you know how much I love breakfast). 

I’ve never gone out to eat by myself before. I think next time I should bring something to do, more than just my phone and some ideas of what to write on this blog! It was kind of liberating though: going out on my own to a restaurant. 


What’s on the agenda for today? Mostly errands. I have to pick up my ID card and pick up papers and what not. I also have to buy some supplies for my room and some food of course. At some point soon, I’m also going to have to get a new SIM card so that I can send and receive texts and calls when outside of the school wifi area! We will see what I’ve got in me for today! 

7 comments:

  1. Beans on toast! How English!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks yummy! And v small to my poor American eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was actually quite a lot of food! I didn't finish the bread or the sausage (they both had some interesting textures though...)

      Delete
    2. interesting textures? what mean?

      Delete
    3. The bread was just a weird texture, I don't know it didn't fully feel like bread when I was chewing it. It was strange, I don't know how to describe it, but I ended up taking the egg of the bread and leaving the bread. The sausage was strange and that's even beyond my general dislike for ground meats. Again, hard to pinpoint the exact words to describe why it was slightly off putting...

      Delete
    4. what an odd thing to be different from country to country. amused that I would prolly like the American version of a full English bfast more than the one I would have in the UK

      Delete
    5. You probably would, some of the things just tasted...well, different. Also a lot of people from continental Europe don't know what hashbrowns are and that is a true travesty and makes my heart hurt a little

      Delete